|The onset of Yezhovshchina|
|“During his address at the meeting of NKVD leaders in July 1937 Yezhov announced the number of suspected enemies that should be subject of arrest and eradication. One of the old Chekists responded that it is not right to plan for shootings beforehand. Yezhov ordered to arrest him right away in the hall. No one else objected after that.”
— Rossiya Kul'tura, a Russian television network
Nikolai Yezhov (alt. Ezhov, in rus. Ежов, Николай Иванович) was a sodomite alias sexually disoriented person, nowadays labeled as LGBT, who, as chief of the NKVD, killed for Stalin. He assisted in getting rid of his predecessor, Genrikh Yagoda, who was executed on March 15, 1938, and he himself was executed in 1940 during purges performed by Lavrenty Beria. The era of Yezhov that ravaged the military as well, leading to the execution or incarceration of about half the entire military officer corps, was termed a "Yezhov bloodbath" or simply "Yezhovshchina". After his execution, the Soviet censors made an example out of him by airbrushing him out of a photo where he had accompanied Josef Stalin near the Moscow-Volga Canal. Ironically, one of his other jobs was Commissar of Water Transportation. He was replaced by Lavrenty Beria, who was a sexual predator in his own right. Ironically, Beria would behave similarly to Yezhov during his own execution.
Based on evaluating historical records, historians assume that Yezhov suffered from inferiority complex due to his low stature of 151cm (4ft 11.45in) (see prominent, militant atheists and short men). In their view, Yezhov strove for gaining a power that would enable him to rule over those who were greater than him, greater in terms of tallness, knowledge, intelligence. He was called a "bloody dwarf" by nation. He maintained sexual relationships both with women and men and this is the reason why some label him as "bisexual" (LGBT). His relationships are described as void of romantic aspect and as marked by heavy alcohol abuse and result of boredom. Historian Nikolai Petrov points out that Yezhov was not well educated and his personality exhibited primitive traits with lack of moral sensitivity. When Stalin empowered Yezhov with enormous competences, he knew he can command Yezhov to perform the most dirty jobs and still rely on his loyalty. When Stalin decided to finish off his opponents, dependent Yezhov who had no support group of his own was an ideal candidate to accomplish this task upon Stalin's discretion. Nikita Khrushchev wrote that Yezhov, in effort to kill his conscience and understanding that Stalin only used him to get rid of certain cadres, gradually abused alcohol to degree that he did not resemble to himself and lost human look entirely. Other sources however claim that he enjoyed his role. When Stalin decided to get rid of his hangman, Yezhov claimed at court that he killed 14 000 Chekists but his only blame is that this figure is too low.
- The Commissar Vanishes (archived version here)
- Николай Ежов. Как террор стал большим (Nikolai Yezhov. How terror became large.) (Russian). Культура. Retrieved on 3 Sep 2017.
- Личная жизнь наркома Ежова: что это было (Personal life of Yezhov, memeber of the people's Commissariat: What it was) (Russian). Русская Семерка russian7.ru. Retrieved on 3 Sep 2017. “«Считаю необходимым довести до сведения следственных органов ряд фактов, характеризующих мое морально-бытовое разложение. Речь идет о моем давнем пороке – педерастии», - такое признание Николай Ежов сделал в камере особой тюрьмы НКВД. ... Семейная жизнь не мешала Ежову развлекаться. В конце 20-х годов он пристрастился к алкоголю. Интенсивно работал и так же интенсивно предавался загулам. Так, с коллегой по наркомату земледелия Ф. М. Конаром (Полащук) они «всегда пьянствовали в компании проституток, которых Конар приводил к себе домой» (из стенограммы допроса Ежова). Были у него и содомские связи. ...Интимная жизнь Николая Ежова началась в 15 лет, когда парня отправили в Санкт-Петербург на обучение к портному. Там, в мастерской, в полном соответствии с традициями мира моды и столичного гламура его совратили более искушенные сверстники. Одного из своих любовников Ежов встретил потом в царской армии в 1916 году, и они охотно возобновили свои отношения. Их связь была взаимоактивной - функции партнера менялись в процессе полового контакта. Впрочем, такие отношения Ежов практиковал и с другими приятелями-содомитами. Вскоре Ежова комиссовали по болезни, а его любовник был убит на фронте. Впоследствии, работая комиссаром базы радиотелеграфных формирований, он утешился в объятьях своего подчиненного инженера-радиотехника Антошина. После ареста разжалованный нарком назвал шестерых своих партнеров. С некоторыми из них Ежова связывала тесная дружба – это Иван Дементьев, работавший охране Ленинградской фабрики «Светоч», и Владимир Константинов, начальник «Военторга» Ленинградского военного округа. С некоторыми была, что называется случайная связь - директор МХАТа Яков Боярский и главный государственный арбитр СССР Филипп Голощекин. Все были арестованы. На допросах легко и подробно рассказывали об отношениях с Ежовым, надеясь на легкую статью за педерастию. Все шестеро были расстреляны. ("I think it is necessary to bring to the attention of the investigative authorities a number of facts characterizing my moral and domestic decomposition. It is a question of my long-standing blemish, "the Confession of Nikolai Yezov made in the cell of the NKVD prison. ... The family life did not hinder Yezov to have fun. In the late 1920s he became addicted to alcohol. Worked intensively and as intensively indulged in Zagolam. Thus, with a colleague of the agriculture addict F. M. Konar (Polishchuk) They "always drank in the company of prostitutes, whom Konar brought to his home" (from the transcript of interrogation of Yezov). He had Sodom ties. ... The intimate life of Nikolai Yezhova began at the age of 15, when the guy was sent to St. Petersburg to study for the tailor. There, in the workshop, in full accordance with the traditions of the fashion world and the metropolitan glamour, he was seduced by more sophisticated peers. One of his lovers Yezov met then in the Tsarist army in 1916, and they willingly resumed their relationship. Their relationship was mutually active-the partner's functions were changed in the process of sexual contact. However, such relations of hedgehogs practiced with other friends-sodomites. Soon, Yezhova discharged by sickness, and his lover was killed at the front. Later, working as the Commissioner of the Radiograph base, he was comforted in the arms of his subordinate engineer-radio-Technician Antoshin. After the arrest, the drug-dealer named six of his partners. With some of them Yezhova was connected by close friendship – Ivan Demantyev, who worked for the protection of the Leningrad Factory "Light", and Vladimir Konstantinov, the head of "voentorg" of the Leningrad Military District. With some was what is called a random link-the director of the Mhata Yakov Boyovsky and the chief state arbiter of the USSR Philippe Golishekin. Everyone was arrested. On interrogations it was easy and detailed to tell about a relationship with Yezov, hoping for an easy article for the pedanstiy. All six were shot.)”
- Donald Rayfield (2007). Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him. Random House Publishing Group, 229. ISBN 9780307431837. “He was alone except for a few old companions with whom he could seek solace in vodka and sodomy.”
- Николай Ежов- Пидирасты карлики Кремля из НКВД (Nikolai Yezhov - Pederasty dwarfs of the Kremlin, NKVD). Retrieved on 3 Sep 2017. “Юрий Жуков, доктор исторических наук:”