On March 15, 2013 Abbas explained that “there is no difference between our policies and those of Hamas.” In his New ear’s speech, Abbas praised Haj Amin al-Husseini, a instigator of pogroms against Jews and ally of Adolf Hitler. In addition Abbas is a Holocaust denier. While accusing Israel of committing an “ethnic cleansing”, Abbas stated that “no Jew, civilian or otherwise, would be permitted to live in the future Palestinian state he envisions.”
Abbas refused to meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. In July 2016 Netanyahu created a video in which he asked Abbas to fire his advisor Sultan Abu al Einein, who had called to slit the throat of every Israeli. He also criticized Abbas' political party Fatah for praising a terrorist attack which murdered 24 civilians on Facebook and called him to instruct the party's social media manager to stop the praising of such terrorist attacks.
Corruption & theft
Abbas is infamous for his despotic ways and his epic corruption. He has amassed a private fortune of hundreds of millions, money diverted from foreign aid and from louche business deals he has made for himself and his two sons Tareq and Yasser. As well as plain stealing from funds he was given from Arafat's PM when assumed office. In addition to that, instead of openly stealing from the P.A., Abbas employed his two sons, Tareq and Yasser. Contiuing a "tradition" set forth by Arafat who $1 billion in tax revenue relayed by Israel for Palestinian workers. He has provided well-paid government jobs to his own relatives and to the relatives of others in the PA government, assuring their loyalty.
In 2021, especially after beating to death of a critic of the PA, there were demonstrations --quelled brutally-- against the oppressive anti human rights "moderate" PA. Some called for outside help.
- Profile: Mahmoud Abbas BBC, Nov 5, 2009
- POPE FRANCIS: MAHMOUD ABBAS IS A “MAN OF PEACE”. FrontpageMag. May 26, 2014. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Mahmoud Abbas is Still Lying About the Holocaust, Moshe Phillips and Benyamin Korn, Algeneiner, May 9, 2014
- MAHMOUD ABBAS’ 'JUDENREIN' PALESTINE. FrontpageMag. October 3, 2016. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- My Message to President Abbas: 5 Steps for Peace. YouTube. July 15, 2016.
- US Foreign Aid to the Palestinians - Every CRS Report J Zanotti. 2014
- Palestinian kleptocracy: West accepts corruption, people suffer the consequences. Ziva Dahl, The Hill,
Nov 15, 2016.
Abbas' political rival Muhammad Dahlan accuses Abbas of stealing $600 million of the $1.4 billion that Arafat's Prime Minister Salam Fayyad transferred to Abbas when Abbas assumed the Palestinian presidency.
An EU audit of the years 2008-2012 found that 2 billion Euros of its aid were lost to corruption and misappropriation by Palestinian leaders.
The refusal of the international community to hold Abbas and the PA accountable for nepotism and corruption drove Gazan Palestinians into the open arms of Hamas, the terrorist group which promised them reform.Today, nothing has changed. The West is fixated on creating a Palestinian state no matter how corrupt. Given Abbas' perfidious dictatorship, such a state is doomed to failure. All indications are that President Obama will reward this reprehensible behavior with a rapid path to statehood.
- For Palestinian leaders, a legacy of corruption, David Bedein, JJ, Oct 25, 2019
- Palestinians demand end to Abbas presidency after activist dies during 'brutal beating and arrest' Abeer Salman and Andrew Carey, CNN, June 25, 2021
- Criticism of Palestinian security forces raises pressure on Abbas, Reuters, June 30, 2021.
- Bishara A. Bahbah, A call to the nations: Help save the Palestinians from their leaders, TOI, Jul 20, 2021. The PA and Hamas hold power through brutality and squelch opposition by denying basic civil rights. Abbas must no longer be Israel's and America’s ‘man in Ramallah'. Never in my life did I think I would publicly and emphatically call upon other nations to help save the Palestinian people from their own leaders. But today, I must. Gone are the days of Yasser Arafat, who was adored by Palestinians from all walks of life and diverse political affiliations...