Boko Haram, officially Jama'atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda'awati wal-Jihad, which in Arabic means "People Committed to the Propagation of the Prophet's Teachings and Jihad," is a Nigerian Sunni Muslim terrorist group. The phrase Boko Haram means "Western education is forbidden". The group wants the overthrow of Nigeria and has killed thousands of people, including 44 people on Christmas day 2011, coordinated attacks that killed at least 185 people on January 20.
The United Nations has designated Boko Haram a terrorist organization after it bombed UN headquarters in Abuja. The UN has established a counterterrorism center in Saudi Arabia to coordinate efforts to combat the group's activities in Nigeria, Sudan and South Sudan.
In May 2014 Boko Haram kidnapped 300 schoolgirls and announced it would sell the teenage girls as slaves shortly after U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton refused to designate the group as a terrorist organization; Clinton was deeply involved with Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb at the time and was funneling its Libyan affiliates weapons for the Libyan War in an effort to establish a so-called "smart power" doctrine which would be the basis of a "Hillary Doctrine" should she ever get elected president of the United States.
- Who are Nigeria's Boko Haram Islamists?, BBC, January 11, 2012
- 'We will attack Nigeria again and again', Boko Haram leader vows, The Telegraphe, January 27, 2012
- Hillary Dropped the Ball on Boko Haram, Josh Rogin, [The Daily Beast], May 7, 2014. www.yahoo.com
- Morrissey, Ed (May 8, 2014). Did Hillary refuse to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization? Hot Air website.
- Benghazi raid leaves cradle of Libyan revolution fearing for its future The Guardian September 21, 2012.