|Stephen Edward “Steve” Schmidt|
|Born|| September 28, 1970 |
North Plainfield, New Jersey
|Political Party|| Republican (1988–2018)|
Stephen Edward “Steve” Schmidt (born September 28, 1970) is a token conservative political commentator on MSNBC. He was the senior strategist and advisor to Senator John McCain in the 2008 Presidential campaign. Having honed his public relations skills under Karl Rove, he specializes in message development and strategy. Previously Schmidt worked on Arnold Schwarzenegger's re-election campaign for California Governor and in 2004 was a member of Karl Rove's "breakfast club" which ran President George W. Bush's re-election campaign.
Although referred to as a "Republican strategist", he is not a conservative. He has condemned true conservatives such as Steve Bannon while claiming conservative and pro-American immigration policies and rhetoric are "racist" and "nativist." He supports same-sex "marriage". He opposed President Trump's historic decision to move the embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, something many presidents promised and failed to do, by saying that "there will be blood on his hands." He has mocked mainstream evangelical Christian pastors (and showed his bigotry and intolerance of them) by calling them "theocratic nutjob preachers." He detests the conservative media, including Fox News and Breitbart News. In June 2018, Schmidt finally admitted his true political orientation by announcing he would leave the Republican Party and begin voting for Democrats, and he called for the Democrats to retake Congress.
Unsurprisingly, Schmidt is a co-founder of the vile, bigoted "Lincoln" Project. He has been accurately criticized by Republican senators after making an ethnically-charged attack against Florida senator Marco Rubio.
- Key, Pam (December 12, 2017). MSNBC’s Steve Schmidt: Bannon Is a ‘Nihilist,’ ‘Fraud’ and ‘Vandal of Our Institutions’. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Key, Pam (April 5, 2018). Steve Schmidt on Trump’s Immigration Remarks: ‘Inherent Racism’ Speaks to the ‘Ugliest Threads in the Country’. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Republicans Sign Brief in Support of Gay Marriage. The New York Times.
- Hanchett, Ian (May 15, 2018). Schmidt on Israel Embassy Move: There Is Blood on Trump’s Hands. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Key, Pam (March 29, 2018). Steve Schmidt: Fox News ‘Spews Forth Daily a Toxin into the American Body Politic’. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Nolte, John (September 18, 2017). GOP Establishment’s Steve Schmidt Calls for ‘Breitbart News’ to Be ‘Put Out of Business’. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Huston, Warner Todd (June 20, 2018). Former John McCain Strategist Steve Schmidt Denounces GOP, Leaves Party for Democrats. Breitbart News. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Gstalter, Morgan (June 20, 2018). GOP strategist Steve Schmidt denounces party, will vote for Democrats. The Hill. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Marco Rubio rips MSNBC's Steve Schmidt on Twitter: 'Washed-up' political prostitute. Fox News.
- GOP senators attack Lincoln Project co-founder after he invokes Marco Rubio's Cuban heritage. CNN.
- The anti-Trump Lincoln Project is now targeting Florida Republicans Rick Scott and Marco Rubio. Orlando Weekly.