Virtue signalling is a phrase claimed to originate from journalist James Bartholomew of The Spectator. It describes attempts to assert moral superiority via shallow, public displays of one's "virtue" and good character.
By expressing opinion or sentiments that you are good, that your behavior is noble, others should be viewed as "racist", not open-minded and likely "phobic". The phrase demonstrates a need to project feelings and receive praise from others. Its use boosts one's ego, gleaming with pride, to show that you should be just like me.
In biblical comparison, in the parable of the Pharisee and the publican, the Pharisee ostentatiously prays, "God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican." Jesus approves instead of the humble prayer of the publican: "God be merciful to me, a sinner."
Virtue signalling is a commonly held trait of liberals in the public eye (such as politicians, Hollywood celebrities and liberal media figures), as well as of liberals among the general public; those who publicly signal their supposed "virtue", however, most often do this to cover up hypocritical views/actions which are opposite to the views they claim to have, such as:
- Claiming to have "anti-racist" views via their public support of Black Lives Matter, which is actually a racist Democrat organization that has very little to do with actual support for blacks and is also an illegal money-laundering scheme and fundraising front for the Democrat Party's presidential campaign.
- Claiming to "support" the environment and demanding that people give up necessities to "save" the environment and stop "climate change", while refusing to give up their own energy-consuming luxuries and leaving tons of trash at "climate change" protests for others to clean up.
- Claiming to "support" female victims of sexual assault and harassment while hijacking that support for political purposes (most notoriously with the Kavanaugh smear), attacking women while using their positions of power to keep their victims quiet and hypocritically ignoring assault/harassment victims if they happen to be conservative women.
- I invented ‘virtue signalling’. Now it’s taking over the world, The Spectator
- Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Manipulators Are More Likely To Engage in 'Virtuous Victim Signaling,' Says Study
- Luke 18:9-14, KJV
- Donations, Including International Funding, to BlackLivesMatter.com Go Directly to ActBlue, Which Supports the DNC at the Gateway Pundit
- EXCLUSIVE: Black Lives Matter Website, ‘Defund The Police’ Donations Go to ‘Act Blue’, The ‘Biden For President’ Campaign’s Top Source of Donations
- Protesters are Environmental Hypocrites at TownHall.com
- Judge Kavanaugh and the weaponization of #MeToo at The Hill