Liberal euphemisms are an attempt to use politically correct terminology in place of more accurate descriptions. By using euphemisms favorable to their worldview, liberals are able to steer an argument or debate in their favor, even when they advocate for what would otherwise be an unpopular or indefensible position.
- Left-wingers frequently refer to themselves as "liberals" or "progressives", and they avoid the less pleasant but more accurate terms of "socialist" or "leftist"
- The terms "abortion", "euthanasia", and "assisted suicide" are all euphemisms for murder, the immoral taking of a human life.
- "Pro-choice" is a euphemism for "pro-abortion" or even "pro-murder"
- "Reproductive rights" and "women's healthcare" are euphemisms for "abortion"
- "Gay" is a euphemism for "homosexual"
- "Marriage equality" is a euphemism for taking away the male-female requirement out of the definition of marriage
- "Transgender" is a euphemism for "gender confusion"
- "Undocumented immigrant" is a euphemism for "illegal alien"
- Leftists frequently use the term "pro-immigrant" as a euphemism for supporting mass migration and open borders
- "Immigration reform" is a vague euphemism leftists use for "amnesty for illegal aliens" along opening the doors to legal mass migration
- The terms "gun reform" and "school safety", among other similar terms, are euphemisms for gun control and even gun confiscation through weapons bans by anti-gun liberal politicians
- "Corporate social responsibility" is a euphemism for liberal corporate tyranny and political power
- "Progress" is a euphemism for creeping socialism
- "Free trade" is frequently used by globalists as a euphemism for highly regulated and sovereignty-reducing trade agreements.
- Freedom, when used by leftists, generally acts as a euphemism for socialism, Communism, or even anarchy, and has been this way since at least the French Revolution. In addition, it is often used by leftists in a false dichotomy choice when claiming the other option is fascism, as well as implying the latter occurs when the people "give up" freedom.
- Protest and free speech, when used by leftists, generally indicates rioting (and in some cases, making bald-faced lies and claiming them to be "truth").
- Similarly, democracy, especially when used with the terms "mass", "participatory", and or claiming it is on the streets, generally alludes to rioting and engaging in street fights against political opponents, as well as disrupting them.
- "Conservationism" and "environmental protection" are used by leftists as euphemisms for environmentalism.
- "Womens' rights" and "women's liberation" are euphemisms for feminism.
- "Europe" is frequently used as a euphemism for the "European Union."
- "Cognitive decline" replaced "dementia" when referring to Democrat Presidential nominee Joe Biden.
- Liberal labels
- Liberal propaganda
- Liberal creep
- Liberal bias
- Liberal slander
- Liberal name-calling
- Liberal Style
- Secularized Language
- Leftist Chants
- Virgil (March 31, 2018). Virgil: Conservatives Should Understand: ‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ Is Just Another Name for Political Power—So Where’s Ours? Breitbart News. Retrieved March 31, 2018.
- Gomez, Christian (September 7, 2018). New NAFTA Deal With Canada This Month? The New American. Retrieved September 7, 2018.
- Scaliger, Charles (September 7, 2018). “Free Trade” Isn’t Really About Trade. The New American. Retrieved September 7, 2018.
"While the French Revolution called for principles of liberty, equality, and fraternity, the concept of “total liberty” they proposed is best described as “total anarchy,” said Fr. William Jenkins, in a 1980s segment of the TV show “What Catholics Believe.”"
- Duke, Selwyn (January 28, 2019). Rallying the Troops, Globalist “Intellectuals” Warn That the EU is “Coming Apart”. The New American. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Ridiculous Liberal Euphemisms We Accept, Ricochet.com
- Liberals are winning the language war, by Keith Koffler at Reuters, April 11, 2014.
- Liberal doublespeak: Words that don’t mean what they say, by John R. Smith at BizPac Review, August 19, 2014.
- Eliminating the Left's Euphemisms, by Anthony J. Sadar at the American Thinker, April 26, 2015.
- Taking a big stick to liberals, The Washington Times, October 2, 2016.
- How to Speak Liberal . . ., by Fred Barnes at The Weekly Standard, August 14, 2006.