|Senior U.S. Senator from Michigan|
From: January 3, 2001 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former U.S. Representative from Michigan's 8th Congressional District|
From: January 3, 1997 – January 3, 2001
|Successor||Michael J. Rogers|
|Michigan Senate, 24th District|
From: January 12, 1991 – January 14, 1994
|Predecessor||William A. Sederburg|
|Michigan House of Representatives, 58th District|
From: January 6, 1979 – January 12, 1991
|Spouse(s)||Dennis Stabenow (div.)|
Tom Athans (div.)
Deborah Ann “Debbie” Stabenow (born Deborah Ann Greer on April 29, 1950 (age 71)), a Democrat, is the senior United States Senator from Michigan. She was elected to the Senate in 2000 and re-elected in 2006, 2012, and 2018. Before becoming a U.S. Senator, Stabenow represented Michigan's 8th congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives (1997-2001) and served in the Michigan state legislature (1979-1994).
Stabenow, an ally of Monsanto, voted against a bill that would have required labeling for foods that contain GMOs. In return, she received three-quarter million dollars from agribusiness interests.
Trump nomination obstructions
Stabenow opposed the nomination of Jeff Sessions to become attorney general in 2017, citing his "sketchy record on civil issues". Stabenow, either out of ignorance or sheer partisan rancor, did not mention that Sessions had previously desegregated schools, broke up the KKK, and secured the death penalty for a white supremacist who murdered a black teenager.
While considered a moderate by some on due to her stances on certain issues, such as bank deregulation, Stabenow is a liberal who supports unrestricted abortion, the Obama stimulus, gun control, and ObamaCare. However, she has a strong backing from many farmers that generally lean Republican, as she supports many pro-agribusiness legislations and drafts, such as the USMCA.
- S Amdt 2310 - Requires Labels on Foods with Genetically Modified Ingredients - National Key Vote
- The Monsanto 71: Senators Who Betrayed Constituents in Favor of Biotech Dollars
- Sen. Stabenow opposes Jeff Sessions' nomination as attorney general
- In Alabama, Jeff Sessions Desegregated Schools and Got the Death Penalty for KKK Murderer (Updated)
- PN 1099 - Nomination of Eugene Scalia as the Secretary of Labor - National Key Vote
- Trump’s U.S. attorney nominee in Grand Rapids is blocked
- Thank your Michigan senators — bank deregulation is on its way
- Debbie Stabenow on the Issues
- Why Debbie Stabenow has staying power with Michigan farmers
- Ranking Member Stabenow Supports USMCA Agreement for Farmers