|American Solidarity Party|
|Party Chairman||Matthew Bartko|
|Founded|| Christian Democratic Party USA (2011-2012)|
American Solidarity Party (2012-present)
|Political ideology|| Christian Democracy|
|Political position|| Fiscal: Liberal|
|International affiliation||Centrist Democrat International|
The political position of the American Solidarity Party is centrist (moderate) and as a result, its platform is socially conservative and economically liberal. Therefore, the ASP holds to socially conservative views such as adhering to a pro-life position with regard to abortion, capital punishment and euthanasia, as well as opposition to same-sex "marriage" and opposition to pornography. With regard to economics, labor issues and foreign policy, the American Solidarity Party is liberal, seeing the "moderate welfare state as the public expression of every citizen’s responsibility for his poor brother or sister."
Mike Maturen is nominee for the American Solidarity Party in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
Shortly after the election, the CDP USA renamed itself the American Solidarity Party. In March, 2013, a National Committee was created for the purpose of drafting a platform and overseeing the creation of local chapters. The Party maintains a lively Facebook Group as a clearing house of information and a testing ground for policy positions.
Ideology and Influences
As the name indicates, the American Solidarity Party draws its inspiration from Solidarity (Polish Trade Union), founded by Lech Walesa in 1980. Adhering to Christian Democracy ideology, the ASP is strongly influenced by Catholic Social Teaching, as well as Neo-Calvinist theology. It also looks to the Christian Democratic movements in Europe and the Americas, and to American religious populists such as Martin Luther King.
The core principle of the American Solidarity Party is the Consistent Life Ethic, understood as “respect for life and the dignity of all persons on all issues.” Like other social conservatives, the ASP opposes abortion, euthanasia, and embryonic stem cell research, but it differs from many of them by rejecting capital punishment and holding to Just War principles in foreign policy. It regards economic justice as an essential aspect of respect for human life.
The American Solidarity Party also calls for fair labor practices and the strengthening of labor organizations, a wider distribution of wealth and productive property, the provision of decent health care to all members of society, responsible stewardship of the environment, and policies that strengthen the family and civil society.
- Longenecker, Dwight (12 May 2016). Is It Time for a US Christian Democracy Party? (English). Aleteia. Retrieved on 4 July 2016. “In 2011 the Christian Democratic Party USA was formed, and after the 2012 election it was re-named as the American Solidarity Party. Small political parties in the United States do not have a great track record, but given the choices available to Christians, the American Solidarity Party may offer a way to vote according to one’s conscience and according to their simple motto: Common Good. Common Ground. Common Sense.”
- An Interview with David Frost and Kirk Morrison (English). Christian Democracy Magazine. Retrieved on 23 June 2016. “There is a growing movement of people who adhere to Catholic Social Teaching and, because of that, find that they cannot find a home with either of the two major political parties in the United States. Their answer has been to form a political party based on Christian democratic principles. The name they have chosen is American Solidarity Party. ... Kirk, you have an article that will go into the first issue of Christian Democracy along with this interview. Christian democracy has been described as conservative on social issues and liberal on economic issues.”
- Longenecker, Dwight (12 May 2016). Is It Time for a US Christian Democracy Party? (English). Aleteia. Retrieved on 4 July 2016.
- "Average Joe" Schriner. Facebook.
- American Solidarity Party (ASP). Facebook.
- "ASP Statement of Purpose"
- American Solidarity Party Statement of Purpose.doc. facebook.com.
- ASP Consistent Life Ethic Platform.doc. facebook.com.