The first Wembley Stadium was opened in 1923. It was then known as the Empire Stadium and was built as a centerpiece of the 1924-25 British Empire Exhibition. It also served as the main stadium during the 1948 London Olympic Games and was the venue for the 1966 World Cup final. The stadium was also the venue for the London half of the Live Aid concerts in 1985. The official capacity of the original stadium on opening was 127,000.
The new stadium opened in 2007 and, with 90,000 seats, is the second-largest stadium (by seating capacity) in Europe. It is topped by a steel arch with a 315m span, rising 140m.