Prominent atheists whose wives believe in the existence of God
- See also: Atheism and interfaith marriages
PZ Myers and his wife's worldview
Recent studies concerning atheism and women
Surveys by country
In November 2010, Discover Magazine published survey results published by the World Values Survey which showed significant differences between the percentage of men and women who are atheists for various countries. Around the world, women tend to be more religious.
United States surveys
A 2008 study by Trinity College found that women are significantly more religious than men in America. In 2007, the Pew Research Center found that American women were more religious than American men.
Religion, women and the Soviet Union
According to the University of Cambridge, historically, the "most notable spread of atheism was achieved through the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, which brought the Marxist-Leninists to power."
Gene Zubovich wrote at the online academic journal Religion & Politics concerning the former Soviet Union:
|“||Despite the public spectacle and the very real repression of the Orthodox Church, however, religious belief and practice remained a part of everyday life and officials often tolerated religious practices, especially in the countryside. As Smolkin shows, even rank-and-file communists struggled with managing religious questions in family life. “What should a Leninist do if his family is still religious, does not permit taking down the icons, takes children to church, and so on,” a party member asked a Soviet newspaper’s advice column. The response “suggested a softer and more gradual approach to family disagreements over religion,” Smolkin writes. “Rather than break with his family, a Leninist should strive to enlighten.” It was common for male party members to marry religious women, the columnist noted, and they should be patient with their families.||”|
- Prominent atheists and adultery
- Atheism and women
- Atheists and church attendance
- Atheism and marriage
- David Silverman
- About Austin Cline
- Atheist Dad of the Year
- Sex differences in global atheism, part N
- Investigating atheism: Marxism. University of Cambridge (2008). Retrieved on July 17, 2014. “The most notable spread of atheism was achieved through the success of the 1917 Russian Revolution, which brought the Marxist-Leninists to power. For the first time in history, atheism thus became the official ideology of a state.”
- Russia’s Journey from Orthodoxy to Atheism, and Back Again by Gene Zubovich, Religion & Politics, 2018