Phillip E. Johnson
Phillip E. Johnson (June 18, 1940 – November 2, 2019), Jefferson E. Peyser Professor of Law, Emeritus, at the University of California, Berkeley, was considered the father of the Intelligent Design movement and architect of the Wedge Strategy. He did much to help these ideas gain acceptance and a wider hearing worldwide. Johnson was the author of several books on evolution, philosophical naturalism, and other cultural issues and spoke extensively around the country. Johnson received the 2004 William Wilberforce Award, which recognizes an individual who has made a difference in the face of formidable societal problems and injustices. The award is given in honor of William Wilberforce, an eighteenth-century British parliamentarian who stood against his party in his campaign to abolish the slave trade and honor the basic human right to life.
Johnson was born in 1940 in Aurora, Illinois. After earning an undergraduate degree in English literature at Harvard, he attended the University of Chicago Law School, from which he graduated first in his class. Later, Johnson was a law clerk for Chief Justice Roger Traynor of the California Supreme Court and Chief Justice Earl Warren of the U.S. Supreme Court. In 1967, he began a long teaching career at Boalt Hall (UC Berkeley's law school). He became Professor Emeritus in 2000. In addition to his academic career, Johnson has worked as a deputy district attorney.
Johnson died on November 2, 2019.
- Darwin on Trial—November 1993
- Darwinism: Science or Philosophy?—July 1994
- Defeating Darwinism by Opening Minds—July 1997
- Reason in the Balance—May 1998
- Objections Sustained—April 2000
- The Wedge of Truth—August 2002
- The Right Questions—October 2002
- Phillip Johnson Bio
- Multiple references:
- Gryboski, Michael (November 4, 2019). Phillip E. Johnson, noted champion of Intelligent Design, dies. The Christian Post. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Klinghoffer, David (November 3, 2019). Remembering Phillip E. Johnson (1940-2019): The Man Who Lit the Match. Evolution News. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Silliman, Daniel (November 5, 2019). Died: Phillip E. Johnson, Lawyer Who Put Darwin on Trial. Christianity Today. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Sanders, Fred (November 5, 2019). Phillip E. Johnson, Who Put Darwin on Trial, Dies at 79. The Gospel Coalition. Retrieved January 7, 2020.
- Google warning on phillipjohnson.net
- Google Safe Browsing Report