A few public relations experts have publicly indicated that her 2017 publicity stunt which involved her holding a mock severed head of Donald Trump was a career-ending move. All of her remaining 2017 bookings for stand-up comedy appearances were canceled as a result and she has had no bookings since then. Though she apologized after the incident, she later withdrew the apology.
She drew a lot of public backlash against herself after that infamous publicity stunt. At a news conference, she refused to take responsibility for her actions and said she blamed Trump, claiming in a teary-eyed manner: "He broke me".
The Examining Atheism blog wrote about Griffin:
|“|| Comedian Kathy Griffin identifies herself as a "complete militant atheist".
If she is representative of militant atheists, the ideological foot soldiers of atheism have backbones of jelly!
In another recent controversy, when Trump paid tribute to John McCain via Twitter following the Senator's passing on August 25, 2018, Griffin used the moment in another attention-seeking ploy by lashing out profanely at Trump in response on Twitter, which led to another massive backlash against her on the platform and elsewhere.
Griffin also recently came under heavy criticism on Twitter (including from Donald Trump Jr.) for falsely accusing students from Covington Catholic High School of "racism" during a confrontation with leftist American Indian professional protester and phony "Vietnam veteran" Nathan Phillips and for demanding the doxing of the students, in violation of Twitter's terms of service. Not surprisingly, Griffin refused to take responsibility or apologize for her inflammatory and bigoted tweets, ignoring that her attempt to dox the students could put them in danger of potential death threats from crazed leftists, and lashed out in response by resorting to moral equivalence arguments against Trump Jr., using the long-discredited "Trump-Russia collusion" claims as her ammunition. Griffin was subsequently named among a lengthy list of 50 liberal media outlets, reporters, politicians, celebrities and other entities who now face legal action against them from the legal counsel of the Covington students, as well as criminal charges filed by county attorneys in Kenton County, Kentucky, for said celebrities' and other Twitter posters' false accusations, doxing attempts and death threats. She also tweeted her support for Nancy Pelosi's infamous tearing up of the 2020 State of the Union address in front of live cameras.
- Blase DiStefano. "Foul-Mouthed and Funny", OutSmart, June 2007. Retrieved on 2007-07-01. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27.
- Kathy Griffin needs to do these things to recover from her career-killing Trump 'beheading' stunt, CNBC
- Caralle, Katelyn (April 30, 2018). Kathy Griffin takes back apology for bloody, severed Trump head. Washington Examiner. Retrieved April 30, 2018.
- Teary-eyed militant atheist publicly breaks down and says "He broke me". Militant atheists are such spineless bowls of jelly. The atheist movement is a lost cause, Examining Atheism
- Kathy Griffin Rips Trump's McCain Tribute on Breitbart.com (Warning: Contains foul language)
- Kathy Griffin reaction to doxing accusations at Twitter (Warning: Contains foul language)
- Nathan Phillips is a liar, not a victim at the New York Post
- Nathan Phillips "service record" exposed at Twitter
- Kathy Griffin: "Ps. The reply from the school was pathetic and impotent. Name these kids. I want NAMES. Shame them" at Twitter (Warning: Contains foul language)
- C.J. Pearson: "We’re getting new submissions every 30 seconds. Every member of the media who defamed, slandered, and doxxed the #CovingtonBoys on Twitter will be served. Each and every tweet will be archived and turned over to the students’ legal counsel" at Twitter
- Ryan Saavedra: "Kenton County Prosecutor Rob Sanders says the process is "already underway" in filing criminal charges against people who have made threats against the Covington Catholic students on Twitter" on Twitter
- Here Are the 50 Celebs, Reporters & Others the Covington Kids’ Lawyers Just Officially Targeted at the Conservative Tribune