Jeff Van Drew
|Jeff Van Drew|
|U.S. Representative from New Jersey's 2nd District|
From: January 3, 2019 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|New Jersey Senate, 1st District|
From: January 8, 2008 – December 31, 2018
|Party||Democrat (before 2020)|
Republican (2020 – present)
|Spouse(s)||Ricarda Van Drew|
Jefferson “Jeff” Van Drew (born February 23, 1953 (age 67)) is a U.S. representative from New Jersey's 2nd congressional district. A former Democrat, Van Drew switched to become a Republican on December 19, 2019, after the impeachment coup d'état against President Trump.
In a speech at the 2020 Republican National Convention, Van Drew praised President Trump and noted his old party to have become increasingly liberal despite initially starting his political career as a moderate in what he was told was a "big tent" party.
U.S. House of Representatives
Van Drew voted in late July 2020 to remove Civil War-era statues.
Van Drew's voting record is mostly liberal. Although he is currently endorsed by Donald Trump for switching to the Republican party, Van Drew still holds moderate to left-leaning position, and has yet to change past positions on supporting abortion and gun control. However, he is opposed to late term abortion and signed a petition in early January 2020 to force the House of Representatives to vote on the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
- Trump endorses Jeff Van Drew, Democrat who switched to Republican Party
- WATCH: Rep. Jeff Van Drew’s full speech at the Republican National Convention | 2020 RNC Night 4
- The List: 72 Republicans Vote with Democrats to Remove Civil War-Era Memorabilia from U.S. Capitol
- Jeff Van Drew's Voting Records
- Byas, Steve (December 23, 2019). Democrat Representative Van Drew Switched to Republican. Is He a Conservative? The New American. Retrieved December 23, 2019.
- President Trump Welcomes Jeff Van Drew to Republican Party – Video and Transcript…
- Jeff Van Drew's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
- Fitzherbert endorsed by NJ Right to Life PAC for Van Drew challenge
- Van Drew Signs Abortion Survivors Petition. Democrats Outraged.
- Profile at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress