James C. Bolton
| James Calderwood Bolton|
(Louisiana banker and businessman)
|Born|| April 18, 1899 |
Alexandria, Rapides Parish, Louisiana
|Died|| September 10, 1974 |
|Spouse||Frances Sample Bolton|
A son of James W. Bolton (1869-1936), for whom Bolton High School in Alexandria is named, and the former Mary Esther Calderwood (1876-1952), he was educated in public schools and the college preparatory Culver Military Academy in Culver, Indiana. He served in the United States Army during World War I. In 1920, Bolton received the Bachelor of Science degree from the Wharton School of Finance and Commerce of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. From 1921 to 1922, he was a member of the credit department of the National Bank of Commerce in New York City. He married the former Frances Sample (1902–1986), the daughter of Samuel Guy Sample and the former Sarah Emma McCrory of Shreveport. The couple had two daughters, Mary Eleanor (born 1927) and Frances (born 1928). In 1951, Frances Bolton married the Alexandria orthopedic surgeon and real estate developer, Paul M. Davis, Jr.
Bolton joined his father's Rapides Bank and Trust Company in Alexandria, since a part of Bank One. He was assistant cashier from 1922 to 1925, vice president from 1925 to 1936, president from 1936 to 1955, and chairman of the board from 1956 until his death. He was also director of the Delta Cotton Oil and Fertilizer Company in Jackson, Mississippi, and the Louisiana Board of Public Welfare during the administrations of Governors Robert F. Kennon (1952-1956) and Jimmie Davis (1960-1964). From 1944 to 1970, he was the chairman of the Alexandria Civil Service Commission. He was instrumental in the founding of the now four-year Louisiana State University at Alexandria and the president from 1964 to 1965 of the LSU Foundation. The LSU-A library is famed in his honor. Bolton was active in Alexandria Chamber of Commerce, as president, 1930 to 1931; chairman, industrial development division, 1965 to 1974. From 1933 to 1934, he was the president of the Louisiana Bankers Association. He was also president in 1935 of the state banking division of the American Bankers Association. He was a member of the Emmanuel Baptist Church in downtown Alexandria and the executive board of Louisiana Baptist Convention from 1928 to 1953. He was president of the Louisiana Baptist Foundation from 1948 to 1959. He was a member too of Kiwanis International.