Lawrence Joseph Hogan, Jr.
|Lawrence Joseph Hogan, Jr.|
|Governor of Maryland|
From: January 21, 2015 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
Lawrence Joseph “Larry” Hogan, Jr. (born May 25, 1956 (age 65)) is the 62nd governor of the State of Maryland. He was inaugurated on January 21, 2015. Not being a career politician, Hogan got into the field due to the government acting with little regard for the people and businesses under it. Deciding to do something about it, he founded the grassroots organization Change Maryland and eventually ran for Governor. Since his election, he has been working to cut tolls and other taxes and fees, and as an apparent result, about 53,000 jobs have been created in the state.
He is the son of congressman Lawrence Joseph Hogan, Sr., who was pro-life and sponsored the Human Life Amendment in late January 1973 as a response to Roe v. Wade. During the coronavirus pandemic in 2020, pro-life protesters in Maryland called for Hogan to advocate for the unborn in the manner his father did.
Governor of Maryland
In March 2017, Hogan criticized "sanctuary cities" and stated he would take steps to fight them. In May 2017, Hogan vetoed a bill that would have required employers to give paid sick leave for employees, a massive and destructive expansion of government power and regulations.
Hogan has taken liberal positions on issues such as gun control, energy, international organizations, and abortion.
COVID-19 handling ineptitude
During the coronavirus pandemic, Hogan paid millions to purchase hundreds of thousands of coronavirus tests from South Korea, for which the MSM gave him a glowing portrayal. However, he spent more money than necessary, as ones manufactured domestically had been significantly cheaper. The ones Hogan bought also turned out to be defective; upon learning such, he hid the data from the state legislature and the public. After news of such broke out, Donald Trump mocked Hogan (an anti-Trumper) on Twitter, noting him as a RINO. The governor in turn made a baseless accusation against Trump, and elicited pushback for his own incompetence.
- H.J.Res.261 - Joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States guaranteeing the right to life to the unborn, the ill, the aged, or the incapacitated.. congress.gov. Retrieved July 24, 2021.
- Mainwaring, Doug (April 29, 2020). US bishop defies lockdown, attends rally calling on governor to close abortion centers. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved July 24, 2021.
- Weber, Joseph (July 18, 2017). GOP governor in deep-blue Maryland becomes top Dem target. Fox News. Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- Sherfinski, David (June 18, 2018). Republican Gov. Larry Hogan 'stronger than ever' in re-election bid in deep-blue Maryland. The Washington Times. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Maryland governor vows to fight sanctuary movement amid rape case. Fox News. March 24, 2017. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- McDermott, Ryan M. (May 25, 2017). Hogan vetoes bill requiring employers to provide paid sick leave in Maryland. The Washington Times. Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- Sorace, Stephen (September 23, 2018). Maryland's GOP governor loses support of NRA after signing gun laws. Fox News. Retrieved September 23, 2018.
- DeRensis, Hunter (January 25, 2019). https://nationalinterest.org/feature/larry-hogan-presidential-timber-42617 The National Interest. Retrieved January 26, 2019.
- Two references:
- Pollak, Joel B. (November 22, 2020). Report: Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, Anti-Trump Hero, Paid for Flawed Coronavirus Tests from South Korea. Breitbart News Network. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- Baumann, Beth (November 22, 2020). Maryland Gov. Hogan to Trump: We Wouldn't Have Botched COVID Tests If It Wasn't for You. Townhall. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- Moore, Mark (November 22, 2020). Trump mocks Gov. Hogan for spending millions on faulty COVID-19 tests. NY Post. Retrieved November 22, 2020.
- Bonchie (November 22, 2020). Larry Hogan Snipes at Trump, Ends Up Absolutely Owned by Facts. RedState. Retrieved November 22, 2020.