"Independent" can mean several different things:
1. Not governed by a foreign power; self-governing.
2. Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another or others; self-reliant: an independent mind.
3. Not determined or influenced by someone or something else; not contingent: a decision independent of the outcome of the study.
4. often Independent Affiliated with or loyal to no one political party or organization.
5. Not dependent on or affiliated with a larger or controlling entity: an independent food store; an Independent film.
a. Not relying on others for support, care, or funds; self-supporting.
b. Providing or being sufficient income to enable one to live without working: a person of independent means.
a. Not dependent on other variables.
b. Of or relating to a system of equations no one of which can be derived from another equation in the system.
8. Independent Of or relating to the 17th century English Independents.
1. often Independent One that is independent, especially a Independent voter, officeholder, or political candidate who is not committed to a political party.
2. Independent A member of a movement in England in the 17th century advocating the political and religious independence of individual congregations.