|U.S. Representative from North Carolina's 2nd District|
From: January 3, 2017 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former U.S. Representative from North Carolina's 13th District|
From: January 3, 2013 – January 3, 2017
George Edward Bell Holding (born April 17, 1968, age 52) is a prosecutor and conservative Republican who is the current U.S. representative from North Carolina's 2nd district, having initially served in the 13th district but was redistricted in 2016. Holding was, at one point, the chief of staff to U.S. Senator Jesse Helms.
U.S. House of Representatives
Holding voted in favor of the No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013.
Holding voted in favor of the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015.
Rep. Holding voted against the fiscally irresponsible Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015.
After being redistricted from North Carolina's 13th district to the state's 2nd district in a legal fight, Holding faced the Republican Abortion Betrayal then-incumbent officeholder Renee Ellmers of the 2nd district, and won the three-way primary race in defeating Ellmers by 30% of the vote.
Holding won re-election to a fourth term in 2018 by 51.3% of the vote.
Holding voted in June 2017 in favor of the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act.
Holding voted in favor of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
Holding voted against the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019.
After a court in North Carolina deemed a Republican redistricting proposal to be partisan gerrymandering, a new map was redrawn and approved in December 2019, with the latter moving the state's 2nd and 6th congressional districts from Republican strongholds to Democrat-controlled areas. Holding, who represents North Carolina's second district and faces nearly no chance being re-elected in 2020, announced shortly after the release of the new district map that he will not be seeking election to a fifth House term in 2020.
- North Carolina - Election 2012
- House Election Results 2014
- HR 45 - Repeals the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and Health Care-Related Provisions in the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 - National Key Vote
- HR 325 - No Budget, No Pay Act of 2013 - National Key Vote
- S 540 - Temporary Debt Limit Extension Act - National Key Vote
- HR 1105 - Death Tax Repeal Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- HR 3134 - Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- HR 1314 - Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 - National Key Vote
- Supreme Court won't stop North Carolina redistricting redo
- Conservative GOP Vs. ‘Liberal’ GOP Incumbents Battle in N.C. Primary
- North Carolina's 2nd Congressional District - Ballotpedia
- North Carolina U.S. House 2nd District Results: George Holding Wins
- Trump scorecard: Who in GOP votes yes, who votes no, who’s undecided
- Daily Kos Elections 2008, 2012 & 2016 presidential election results for congressional districts used in 2018 elections
- North Carolina Election Results: Second House District
- HR 849 - Protecting Seniors Access to Medicare Act - National Key Vote
- HR 3003 - No Sanctuary for Criminals Act - National Key Vote
- HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - National Key Vote
- HR 4712 - Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act - National Key Vote
- HR 5 - Equality Act - National Key Vote
- HR 3877 - Bipartisan Budget Act of 2019 - National Key Vote
- H Res 755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors - National Key Vote
- HR 550 - No War Against Iran Act - National Key Vote
- In partisan gerrymandering case, North Carolina judges order new maps for 2020 election
- Judges uphold North Carolina Republicans' redrawn 2020 election map
- The Atlas of Redistricting - North Carolina
- HB1029 3rd Edition
- Multiple references:
- Two references:
- Rep. George Holding - GovTrack
- George Holding on the Issues