|Born|| December 3, 1956|
|Alma mater||Harvard University|
Kathy Manning, born December 3, 1956 (age 64), is an attorney and liberal Democrat who ran for United States House of Representatives from North Carolina's 6th congressional district. She previously ran unsuccessfully from the 13th district in 2018, losing by a close margin in a mostly Republican district then.
U.S. House runs
Manning unsuccessfully ran for U.S. House of Representatives in the 2018 Midterms, losing to incumbent Republican Ted Budd by six percentage points despite having campaigned heavily, holding hundreds of political events and reaching out to tens of thousands of voters. During the run, Manning voiced opposition to Nancy Pelosi despite having previously donated to her.
Following an upheld court-mandated redistricting of North Carolina's congressional districts in late 2019, the 6th district was moved from a Republican stronghold to a Democrat-favoring area. Manning announced in early December 2020 her run for the seat, and Republican representative Mark Walker of the district soon announced his retirement due to facing nearly no chances of being re-elected.
Manning won her party's primary, and faced Republican Lee Haywood in the general election. The vacated House seat was expected to be a mostly safe blue flip, as the newly drawn sixth congressional district is very liberal.
Manning easily won the general election in the redrawn district by over twenty points.
- Community activist Kathy Manning running for Congress again
- North Carolina Election Results: 13th House District
- Pennsylvania, North Carolina election results illustrate power of gerrymandering
- More Dems Declare Independence From Leadership Despite Fundraising Ties to Pelosi
- Judges uphold North Carolina Republicans' redrawn 2020 election map
- In partisan gerrymandering case, North Carolina judges order new maps for 2020 election
- The Atlas Of Redistricting
- HB1029 3rd Edition
- Kathy Manning announces 2020 run for NC's 6th Congressional District
- North Carolina Rep. Mark Walker won't run in '20, eyes Senate in '22
- Manning wins NC primary for 6th Congressional District
- Republican Lee Haywood takes on Kathy Manning in North Carolina's 6th Congressional District
- 2020 House Race Ratings | The Cook Political Report
- Who wins 2020? House Election Predictions & Key Races
- Battle for the House 2020
- North Carolina House Election Results 2020
- U.S. 6th District: Get to know Democratic candidate Kathy Manning