World History Homework Eleven Answers - Student 2
1. Describe an aspect of the Great War that you found to be most interesting, or most influential. Include as an introduction a sentence or two about what the Great War was.
The Great War was basically just what the called WW1 before it had been named WW1, the more precise time was from the beginning of the war to sometime in the 1930’s. I don’t really know was so “Great” about this war though. It seems like hardly anything was achieved accept for countless deaths of soldiers. There weren’t hardly any great or heroic battles; it was just continuous brutal violence. One of the worst parts of this war was the toxic gasses that were thrown all over during the terrible battles fought inside the trench.
- Good analysis, but the time period is wrong. The Great War (WWI) was from 1914 to 1918, not in the 1930s.
2. Explain the what, why, when and where of communism.
Communism was the idea that we all are equal (not a bad idea), and it takes that idea and tries to make sure that we all have exactly the same amount of money, land, etc. The idea wouldn’t seem like a bad idea, but it is one of the most inefficient ideas a government has ever come up with, and resulted in a lot of dispute over the all of the 1900. If not for Ronald Reagan, we might still be in the terrible mess of communism.
- Excellent. Communism is very inefficient indeed.
3. Pick an aspect of science from the early 20th century and discuss it.
Quantum Mechanics are probably the most useful scientific advancement that was made during the 20th century. It was discovered by the European Philosophers. The basic idea of Quantum Mechanics is that subatomic particles act like waves, and are never in one place at a time. A lot of the technology we see today is the result of quantum mechanics.
- Good, concise explanation but note that it was physicists, not philosophers, who discovered quantum mechanics. Also, the subatomic particles do resolve their uncertainty with respect to position upon observation.
4. Pick an aspect of art or literature in the early 20th century and discus
I happen to feel that a lot of drawings made by people in the early 20th century, such as Picasso, were drawn be people who had trouble seeing, because all of the body parts seem just like one huge, disorderly jumble. I guess there must be some talent in that type of artwork though, or it wouldn’t be quite so famous, I just happen to have a hard time seeing it.
- Good humor in your answer!
7. What is your view of secret alliances among nations? Do you think the secret alliances made World War 1 worse?
I feel that the secret alliances made WW1 way worse. Like you said in the lecture, it was like lining two football teams up ready to play, it doesn’t take much to get the teams to start “playing.” This also created a “who’s on who’s side type of panic, which probably made everyone uneasy
8. Discuss why the peace after the Great War did not last.
I think it’s because a lot of the mistakes after WW1 actually are the reason for WW2. We always have to pay for our past mistakes in one way or another, in this case we paid for it with another world war.
- Very well stated.
- Superb work, among the best in the class. Grade: 60/60.--Andy Schlafly 11:07, 8 December 2011 (EST)