Scientism is the belief that the scientific method has no (or few) limits and can successfully be applied to almost all aspects of life, and provides an explanation for everything. It is essentially a religion where its followers (Scientists) worship science its rituals, and its results. According to Discovery Institute scientism is an effort to use the methods of science to explain and control every part of human life. C.S. Lewis was sceptical and highly critical of scientism as an ideology which in his view was confused with science and which tried to reduce everything that we can learn scientifically to materialistic blind undirected causes.
Scientism and atheism
Scientism has generally had a close relationship with atheism, as atheism and Scientism support each other. Followers of Scientism do not believe in God and therefore use atheism as the base of their religion, and atheists use pseudoscience to support their claims, as well as as evidence against God and the Bible.
Scientism and pseudoscience
Since Scientists have an agenda to use "science" to support their denial of God, their techniques usually rely on pseudoscience. For example, the claim to know that God exists, despite the fact that it is technically scientifically impossible to disprove anything (i.e. negative proofs are impossible). Despite this, they continue to deny the existence of God without any real scientific proof.
Science as a religion
Scientism is the religion of worshiping science as a source of explanations about the universe. It is based on their faith that science will provide answers because Scientists have a declared "objective" point of view.
Believers of Scientism deny the existence of God, and instead worship pseudoscientific methods. They seek to use what they claim to be as "science" to replace God as the source for infinite knowledge, and the foundation of society. Scientists generally think of themselves as being Gods while practicing their scientific rituals, because they think they are coming up with answers. However, they really just pretend that they are God to feel superior to the faithful.
- ↑ Ashgate Science and Religion Series
- ↑ The Magician's Twin: C.S. Lewis and the Case against Scientism 02min:20sec. DiscoveryInstitute (18 Nov 2012). Retrieved on 27-April-2013.
- ↑ http://sntjohnny.com/front/scientism-the-atheists-religion-of-faith/477.html
- ↑ http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2010/03/1174
- ↑ http://www.enformy.com/Religion_of_Scientism.htm
- ↑ http://www.crosswalk.com/news/exposing-the-religion-of-scientism-11598780.html
- Scientism (Merriam Webster Online Dictionary).
- Scientism (American Public Broadcasting Service).
- Scientism (Philosophy, etc.)
- The Magician's Twin: C.S. Lewis and the Case against Scientism Featured Video by Discovery Institute