Critics have called her an enemy of reform and that she helped to provoke the popular unrest that led to the French Revolution and to the overthrow of the monarchy in August 1792.
- Doyle, William. "The Execution of Louis XVI and the End of the French Monarchy." History Review. (2000) pp 21+ online edition
- Hardman, John. Louis XVI: The Silent King (1994) 224 pages, a standard scholarly biography
- Padover, Saul K. The Life and Death of Louis XVI (1939) online edition
- Price, Munro. The Road from Versailles: Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette, and the Fall of the French Monarchy (2004) 425 pp. excerpt and text search; also published as The Fall of the French Monarchy: Louis XVI, Marie Antoinette and the Baron de Breteuil. (2002)
- Schama, Simon. Citizens. A Chronicle of the French Revolution (1989), highly readable narrative by scholar excerpt and text search
- Marie Antoinette. Memoirs of Marie Antoinette, Queen of France and Wife of Louis XVI: Queen of France (1910) complete edition online