Homework Two Answers - Student Two
American History lecture two homework
1: the first, which started in 1692, was a series of trials known as the Salem witch trials. These trials had the impact of helping to give us a better justice system. The second was the Zenger trial which helped establish the freedom of the press, and the ability of a jury to vote not guilty against the law.
- Excellent: concise and correct.
2: Legally, colonies disagreed with "virtual representation." British burdens hurt nearly all the colonists in all walks of life.
3: the taking of fort Ticonderoga by the green mountain boys took place in what would later become Vermont.
- Superb, could use as a model answer.
4: both the Boston tea party and the tea party movement today oppose(d) taxes.
- Right, could elaborate and explain a bit more. (Minus 1).
5: the great awakening was a movement of God through all of the colonies that brought them together as one body through Christ. (Minus 1).
- Good, but could say more, such as roughly when it occurred or its place in a the sequence of key events in colonial America.
6: the French and Indian war left England in debt; this led to increased taxes on the colonies which helped to start the revolutionary war. I think it is appropriately named.
- OK, but it's hard to tell from the name what the two sides were. Minus 1 for not explaining why you think it is appropriately named.
1: I certainly think that political cartoons are effective, as long as they are easy for anybody to understand. The cartoon in the lecture was a good example of an effective cartoon as it is easy to see that without the unity of all the colonies, the “snake” would die.
3 this statement is mostly true but political issues can also be religious issues as shown by the Salem witch trials.
- Good, with an example to back up your opinion!
5: Should England have been able to impose direct taxes on the colonies? I think that England should have been able to impose taxes on the colonies if and only if the colonies had representation in parliament and the same taxes were also imposed on the English.
- Grade: 87/90. Good work!--Andy Schlafly 19:46, 19 February 2011 (EST)