George Zimmerman is an Hispanic who had long worked as a volunteer to patrol his gated neighborhood in Florida, which had been subjected to a series of crimes. One rainy evening in March 2012, Zimmerman encountered an African American youth wearing a hoodie. After some kind of confrontation, the youth was killed from the firing of Zimmerman's gun, which he had a permit to carry. The youth, Trayvon Martin was unarmed.
After a media sensation that included distortions of the facts, George Zimmerman was subsequently charged with second-degree murder after being denied the protection of a grand jury, despite his claim that he acted in self defense. In the analogous case of Bernhard Goetz, the protection of a grand jury was important when the first grand jury declined to indict on the biggest charges.
Rather than plead the Fifth Amendment, George Zimmerman surprisingly took the witness stand in April and testified that "he thought Trayvon was an adult, 'a little bit younger than I am,' and that he didn't know if Trayvon was armed or not. Zimmerman ended by saying, 'I'm sorry for the loss of your son.'" His bond was set at only $150,000, which he posted quickly in order to remain free until trial.
"The revelation that NBC News altered the recorded 911 call that George Zimmerman made to police before he fatally shot Trayvon Martin has brought down heavy criticism on NBC." NBC News altered the 911 call to make it look like George Zimmerman was obsessed with Trayvon Martin's ethnicity, when in fact Zimmerman merely complied with a direct demand by the 911 operator to provide the ethnicity of Mr. Martin.
For political reasons (to avoid creating an animosity between two Democrat voting blocs), the liberal media invented the term "white Hispanic" rather than "Hispanic", over the objection of George Zimmerman's family. It would typically be considered racist to play that word game in another context; no one in the media would refer to a politician as a "white African American."
|“||Now, courtesy of the mainstream media, there is a new phrase to add to our national lexicon: 'white Hispanic.' ... I've written about the thorny subjects of race and ethnicity for nearly a quarter century, and I rarely hear this term. ... Wherever this road leads, it's not good -- not for Hispanics nor the rest of the country.||”|
- Witnesses Claim George Zimmerman Didn't Help Trayvon Martin.
- Trayvon Martin killing: witness says he saw Zimmerman walk away uninjured.
- ↑ http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-03-14/news/os-trayvon-martin-shooting-death-rally-20120314_1_shooting-death-bryant-chief-bill-lee
- ↑ http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0409/No-grand-jury-What-does-that-mean-for-George-Zimmerman
- ↑ http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0420/George-Zimmerman-bond-hearing-5-new-things-we-learned/Zimmerman-brooded-over-comments-by-Trayvon-s-mother
- ↑ http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0404/George-Zimmerman-911-call-what-the-fallout-is-from-botched-editing
- ↑ http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/29/opinion/navarrette-white-hispanic/index.html?hpt=po_r1